Thursday, November 20, 2008

AVG says Windows (only a file) is a big Virus.

I have just received an email from my ex-student Rubenaldo. This email points to some interesting links that show AVG and a very tiny mistake: at version 7.5 and 8.0, user32.dll is a virus. Check it out:Link
http://apcmag.com/
http://www.geek.com/
So, let's open our minds, and understand what can happen:
1 - User starts AVG
2 - AVG complains
3 - User erases the file, and the SO stops

Unfortunately, most of end users, or home users, believe that anti-virus software can let them protected. As we see above, this just does not happen.

Others OS

Not only this, but the most popular end-user operating system is way too vulnerable, if we compare to others, mostly MacOS and Linux.

As my first post, I want to show, as impartially as I can, that there are other ways to do the same job. Of course, I want to show that nothing is a whole solution in itself.

In an cnet Review in 2006, Natasha Lomas remembered the famous Apple campaign, and pointed some flaws. We should never forget that softwares will allways have failures. The point is: Some are worst.

To state this, when you can, take a look at Security Focus Bugtraq Vulnerabilities List. Today (11-21-2008), I found the following results:
Vendor = Apple : 30 pages of vulnerabilities
Vendor = Ubuntu: 31 pages of vulnerabilities
Vendor = Microsoft: 68 pages of vulnerabilities

Note that I choose no software. Only the vendor. Also, most of the vulnerabilities there are solved. So, numbers here will not reflect the security information we are searching.

Usability

Besides, we must consider the usability question: "Will I know how to deal with that ?" The other Operating System may seem really secure, or less insecure. But, will I know how to deal with it's stuffs ? The text editor has the same controls ? My spreadsheet will have suffcient collumns/rows to work ?

I will make things worst then: Okay, I don't have sufficient time to re-learn it all. I will keep it simple. But I wish I could work without worrying so much about malwares. So, the end is to invest in a anti-virus solution, somehow expensive. And, sometimes it really does not work, or work insufficiently.

The question??? it is "How to lift security levels to the user ?"

No comments: