Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Installing a brand new Ubuntu box

I am using a Dell Optiplex 780 as my desktop at my job now, and so I do need my environment back, that means, I have to reinstall Ubuntu.

Got a usb memory prepared to install it, asked Windows 7 to release some space in HD (almost 80% of space, in fact), and started the procedure.

Ubuntu 10.10 up and ready, let's start to make it the best I can, and that's the reason why I wrote this post.

Cleaning old lists
First of all, I need to rebuild the apt lists:
sudo rm -v /var/lib/apt/lists/*
sudo apt-get update
This is only needed because for an unknown reason the original lists has some errors. I am really not aware about these mistakes.

Basic tools

Before starting, I need to prepare my surgery tools:
sudo apt-get install vim aptitude htop ssh k3b ssh ipcalc \
vlc gnome-mplayer compizconfig-settings-manager
\
compiz-fusion-plugins-extra
Compiz Configs
There are some adjustments I always do in Compiz interface. Of course, they are optional:
as_active_plugins = core;ccp;move;resize;place;decoration;gnomecompat;workarounds;neg;vpswitch;text;svg;ring;regex;commands;dbus;session;imgjpeg;mousepoll;shift;png;reflex;resizeinfo;animation;wobbly;fade;cube;rotate;3d;cubeaddon;scale;scaleaddon;expo;ezoom;
as_next_key = Tab
as_prev_key = Tab
as_initiate_key = Disabled
These configurations may be inserted through compizconfig-settings-manager, instead of dealing with configuration files.

No comments: