Sunday, April 19, 2009

MSN Messenger access Microsoft secretly

At least, most of MSN Messenger does not know that ...

Recently I was called by a friend, to help him in his computer problems. A reasonable desktop box, with Windows XP and ESET anti-virus.

MSN 2009 had been installed, but just was not working. I started ESET firewall, and set him to block data traffic, incoming or outgoing. This way I could watch any MSN access. Unfortunatelly, it did not worked at all, so I started working in some others tries, but left Firewall working in the same way. Searching on Internet, I found this page, with older versions of MSN.

After downloading 8.5, I started removing the 2009 version. Surprisingly, ESET Firewall blocked an access try to the Software Vendor. And more than 3 times !!! I cannot understand this. If I was uninstalling the software, why to contact Microsoft ?

I immediately thought of VLC, as shown in this popup. This just did not happened with MSN. The software did not warned me of this, just did it. this is disgusting. They could at least prompt the user about what was about to be done.

After this bad experience, after breathing deeply, I decided to continue, of course. Having installed 8.5 version, I started it, and I was prompted by a warning of a new version to be installed. Of course, I denied, and ... nothing happened. Twice, 3 times, and nothing happened. That means, get the new verson, it is an order. Or else just does not use it.

Wow! Those guy are really bold!! The computer is owned by the one who bought it, if he wants to use it with an older version, it is his business, not Microsoft business.

Mais uma vez fiquei tremendamente irritado. O computador pertence ao seu dono, ou seja, a quem desembolsou dinheiro para o comprar, e o fornecedor do software se acha no direito de impôr suas decisões sobre qual versão do software o usuário tem que usar. It was his own money!!!

Went for a little (a lotta) water, to cool my hatred. I found some tricks to apply on Register (nothing that easy, as many says) and MSN 2009 (after being re-downloaded) was ready to be used. That's okay, it is a Beta version. It will be fixed.

But, I ask any of you: Why does it must be this way ? please, technical answers, and not those built upon a "I think" basis.

No comments: